This is the area that I lack the most. At first I used to think that editing was just spell check on Microsoft Word and that was it. Then I realized it was so much more than that. Granted, I have been writing for a very long time, but my mind was not on editing. I just wanted people to really understand my story of what I was trying to say. Who cared that I didn’t put a comma in the right place? I can remember in high school my English teacher would give us a sheet that had ” common mistakes” on it which did not help because I still needed work on my papers. I have a come a long way, but I still lack editing. When something needs a fresh pair of eyes I send it to one of my friends and have them look it over. Here are some things that will help the process of editing.
- Proofread – Always have your work proofread. I know we as writers think our writing is perfect, but it is good to go over every piece of writing with a fine tooth comb.
- YouTube Videos – Call me crazy, but this really helps! I have watched many videos on how to edit. It may seem redundant or tedious, but it has helped me.
- Books – Books that focus on editing can help a ton as well. In fact I am about to read a few because I still need all the help that I can get. Here are a few
- On Writing by Stephen King
- 100 ways To Improve Your Writing by Gary Provost
- The Manual for Writers by Kate L. Turbian (Eighth Edition)
- Line by Line by Claire Kehrwald Cook
There are some of the books that I will be reading as well. My goal is to write for a living so I have to make sure that my editing is tight! When you edit what style works for you?